The world now has new standards of travel, work and just about every daily activity since the epidemic has spread globally. To keep up with the changed lifestyles, many industries and workplaces began to adopt remote working criteria and necessary infrastructure.
Software development Remote work has definitely gained an edge over other industries. What is the trend in other industries now? industry standard In software development for the last decade. Many companies have experience working remotely with independent developers or with offshore development teams that are located in remote areas (here You can learn more about offshore software development).
While remote working is not entirely new to software developers, it still does not correspond to the level of sophistication at full scale Work From Home And demand for remote development environments. Therefore, both individual developers and team management must make some additional efforts to ensure that their productivity levels remain optimal. In this article, we try to summarize the basic rules that will make remote work effective.
Customize your environment
The opposite situation between a home-work environment and an office lies in small items like office space, lighting, comfortable working chairs, desks and so on.
On. While all of these things are taken care of by office management onsite, WFH workers are required to take care of them all.
If you have decided to build your career as a remote engineer, then invest in the following things to create a comfortable and ergonomic work setup as it is important for your well-being and long-term productivity.
A comfortable place to work:
- Get yourself a comfortable work desk and a chair with an ergonomic design. Ensure that your work setup lets you maintain a proper posture. You can also include an adjustable or standing desk to help avoid back pain.
- As a developer, you spend a lot of time on screen. Therefore, ensure that the monitor is positioned at optimum height to aid in better approach.
- Keep good light in the room to avoid eye strain.
- Work from a quiet corner of the room to avoid distracting.
- Reduce your working space and make sure to maintain it as a private space.
Good Internet Connection:
Remote access operations such as accessing remote applications, cloud resources, and remote desktops require high bandwidth and continuous connectivity. If your home internet cannot meet such high traffic requirements, upgrade to a better plan that ensures the required quality of service.
Keep in mind cyber security measures
Talking about remote functioning, the biggest challenges are security concerns. Developers need to access the most vulnerable and important part of company resources, and there is always a risk of security compromises.
Even though an organization can implement strong encrypted VPNs and security measures, each developer must take responsibility for ensuring that all security standards are followed. Developers should report the use of any unauthorized app or device and ensure that they keep their passwords secure.
They should also undergo appropriate security training to become aware of social engineering and phishing attacks. So do not hesitate to ask for this training if you need it.
Strike the right balance between work and life
Work-life balance is blurred to a great extent Work From Home Has developed to some extent the personal lives of remote workers. Hence, why you need to take a proper break and get some quality rest. Ultimately, the quality of your work depends on your likelihood of taking a proper rest.
Here are some ways you can balance your personal time and work hours.
- Create and stick to your working schedule. Give yourself the right time to relax and feel rejuvenated.
- Use time trackers and productivity techniques such as Pomodoro. It is quite easy to lose track while working from home all day. Using scheduling tools and trackers allows you to manage time and alert you to relax and get back to work.
- Separate the working space in your apartment from other locations. Reserve private space for work that helps you stay focused.
- Try to emulate your office environment at home, so that you feel more motivated to work. Choose different clothes for working hours and leisure time.
If you have ever worked in a development team, you would already know of many team collaboration and communication tools that are widely used by remote teams as well. With a full-time WFH setup, you may have to shift to a cloud-based application or move your existing tools to the cloud.
Either way, you will need to understand how these apps work and take full advantage of them. Here are some of the top remote collaboration and automation tools you can see:
- Messenger and video conference tools: Slack, Zoom, Microsoft Teams
- Remote collaboration tools: Cumin, Sangam, Trello, Monday, Dharana, Miro
- Code Management Tools: GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket
Improve your online communication
Many companies define online communication as a key aspect of effective remote team work. Here are some main things to keep in mind:
- With remote working, you should expect the number of meetings and online communication to increase as you cannot physically reach a colleague. Get comfortable with chat applications, email and video conferences.
- Skills to write accurate content to track your work email and communicate information on time.
- Make your video conference engaging and interactive. Increase the number of team calls and make sure you use cameras (not just voice) during all these calls as human connection is important to maintain team spirit.
- Create and use the right channels for communication. For example, create separate groups on the team app to coordinate project-wise activities, a non-working team chat, general update chat for developers, and so on.
- Over-communication is fine. Do not hesitate to share your updates and proceed about your blockers and requirements. You do not need to wait until the next team meeting to raise your questions.
- When you work away from your team, no one knows what you are doing and about your progress until you tell them. So this is not the time to be shy – share it with those who may depend on this information.
- Use it in your work situation to make it clear to your colleagues when you are working and when you are on break.
- Always respond to incoming messages from your colleagues – if their question requires too much time from you, write back what you will get back later.
- To save time for unnecessary communication, start working in shared properties available to the team or the entire company. Keeping your files in a shared Dropbox folder, on One Drive or Google Drive, will allow your coworkers to get the information they need, so you’ll be less distracted by their requests to share something.
Remote work can be challenging. But this does not mean that it is not productive. Many studies have shown that remote work can be more productive and satisfying for employees if you manage to find the right balance. Make extra effort to make your home office as comfortable as possible.
Try to incorporate some enthusiasm and a disciplined work schedule into your routine. Empower yourself with all available tools, technology, security practices, and make extra efforts to stay in the communication loop.
Working remote gives you more freedom and opportunity to work on your goals and excel in your career. Use it properly.
this Article Was originally published Live code stream by Juan Cruz Martinez (Twitter: @bajcmartinez), Founder and publisher of live code streams, entrepreneurs, developers, authors, speakers and doers.
Live code stream Also available as a free weekly newspaper. Sign up for updates on everything related to programming, AI and computer science in general.
Published January 3, 2021 – 11:00 UTC